Effective organisational strategy recognises that beyond technology or finances it is an enabled workforce, including its leaders and teams, that remains the ultimate competitive advantage. Our consultants coach and engage teams and their leaders to identify and focus on what matters. We facilitate the process of aligning team’s composition, roles, relationships and efforts regardless of their level.
More than team building, we deliver immediate practical benefitby engaging team members, including leaders; using activities relevant to the real issues and challenges they face on a daily basis. Situations in a team’s life cycle when our consultants can add value;
- Developing self-sustaining, readiness, preparedness and agility
- Fast-tracking the development of new teams and leaders or launching a project team
- Enhancing the effectiveness of existing teams and their leaders
- Diagnosing a team’s current and perceived reality and context
- When a team is dysfunctional or simply looking for that extra edge
- When is a team is falling behind in productivity
- A good team wants to become a great team
- Conflicts within the team are impeding progress
- The organisation needs to raise the bar
- Restructure, downsize and/or reinvention of a team
- The team is facing an extraordinary challenge
- Accelerate the conversion of a group of individuals to that of a high-performing team
Contemporary thinking and practice shows that organisations that invest in workforce capability and agility, in concert with their technical and process maturity, are the ones who develop the sustainable competitive advantages. ODR’s Team Effectiveness Framework identifies the factors that align and mobilise team talent and energy to achieve such organizational objectives.
Builds clear visibility to the drivers of organisational objectives together with accountable measures so that each team member monitors their own achievements. Our practical approach to enabling a new team; one that is faltering or a team in renewal, to work more effectively together has proven to be much faster than standard approaches. Goal and role clarity together with meaningful and accepted commitments and performance measures at both the individual and team level are negotiated and agreed to. Our processes build clear visibility in organizational objectives together with setting accountability measures so the team monitors their own achievements. Strategies for aligning effort through intrinsic motivations are made explicit and built in so that engagement is sustained.
- Purpose: Who do we serve? Members identify what the team’s contribution is to organisational objectives and what each team member’s role contributes to the team.
- Team value: What do we bring to the customer? Members identify their customer/s, whether internal and/or external, and what their unique value proposition is to the customer. Mechanisms for listening, recording and responding to the customer voice are agreed.
- Talents & Unique contributions: How do we express our strengths? Members identify how their strengths contribute to their role and leverage the effectiveness of the team. Role and team boundaries are defined and boundary riding protocols established.
- Objectives: What are our measurable outputs? Team members agree the tangibles they will deliver and what will be in place to ensure this is done reliably. The resources required and how these will be applied, controlled and scheduled is agreed.
- Critical Success Factors: What needs to be in place for real success? Team members work to define what team results looks like in action and outputs, and the essentials critical to ensuring it happens.
- Operating principles: How do we work with each other? Team members prioritise individual and agreed team values and how these values translate into foundation behaviours upon which trust is built. Interpersonal effectiveness markers including “rules of the game” and non-negotiable behaviours are agreed.
- Chartering: “How committed are we?” Agreements are contracted in a Team Charter.
Team members benefit from the confidence and personal accountability goal, role and task clarity brings and their organization benefits from the rapid performance improvement as team outputs align directly to objectives.
The operating model of each team is as important as the organisational model to its effectiveness. Often teams have too little "design" in their processes resulting in a lot of activity but very little achievement. Further, even initially effective processes become unproductive over time as the organization moves to meet dynamic markets and changing objectives. When processes cease to fit current realities, roles drift out of alignment, relationships become strained, miscommunication occurs and inevitably business results suffer.
Team effectiveness or the ability of its members to achieve results is more than team work or the way the different personalities within the team interact. Factors such as team structure, roles and work flow design between team roles and other stakeholders affect their ability to get the work done. ODR’s consultants assist with minimising the impact of interpersonal issues, high turnover and reduced productivity poorly defined team composition causes through;
- Evaluating fit for purpose team structure, roles, tasks, workflows
- Aligning its function within the organisational structure
- Examining interdependencies within the team and with other teams
- Determining sufficient capability and capacity of the team to the demands
- Team, leader, individual role positioning
- Role analysis and design
A key enabler at organisational, team and individual levels, aligned leadership ignites and empowers strategy into action. Our consulting services provide the leader with actionable and measurable development appropriate to improving their effectiveness within their team context. Our consultants have extensive leadership training, experience and have been measured through 360 degree assessment to be effective transformational leaders themselves. As consultant coaches, they assist leaders identify those factors critical to their success in current and future team contexts and select the most appropriate learning approach whether assessment, tool, technique or process to transform the challenges each individual leader faces.
Our leadership solutions are formed at the crossroads where leadership, strategy, and culture meet. We engage leaders in testing their learning in action where greatest learning occurs for individuals and organizations and where companies reap the greatest return on investment. Our coaching programs include;
- The Effective Leader: Identify the barriers (internal and external) to leadership effectiveness. Devise action targeted projects for implementing learning and measure results.
- Authentic Leadership: For the leader ready to step up to the challenge of being true to their authentic self. Build, align and empower cultures of accountability and responsibility. Inspire discretionary effort.
- Transformational Leadership: For specific measurable results in your team including Effectiveness, Satisfaction and Extra Effort. Improve your ability to coach and inspire your team to greater accountability, capability and effort. See our Online Coaching program.
- Leadership Team Effectiveness: Whether the executive or a management team, or a group of team leaders, our programs for optimizing leadership impact and presence, builds on strengths and embed the behaviours that enable and align teams to greater effect. Identify and focus leadership team’s effort on the unique issues that block their effectiveness.
Our workshop programs train the foundational leadership competencies (knowledge, skills and attitudes) and these programs assess the current capability of the leader and focus their development on being effective and releasing their potential.
High Performing Teams
High performing teaming is the result of enabling and unlocking the potential of each member’s capability, capacity their relationship with themself and each other, and actively managing all factors critical to the team’s success. Providing objective observation and assessment, their ODR coach facilitates the identification of current and potentially future tasking and capability gaps; establishes stretch goals in context relevant action learning projects and evolves their teaming to achieve greater performance. Whether transforming mental models or re-engaging a team for energy, focus and drive, this program generates deep commitment to team effectiveness.
- Map and navigate the team’s dynamics to determining strategies for optimising the contribution of each member
- Extend the whole team’s performance by creating and improving consciousness of the team’s dynamics and its impact on culture, engagement and cohesiveness
- Practice tools for leveraging each member’s talents and contribution
- Build and enable a committed high impact team culture, engaged with customers and stakeholders
- Targeted action learning strategies that build capability within their work context and collect objective data to identify team progress
- Built in opportunities to calibrate learning to continually refine and extend individual and team development?
- See our Building and Leading High Performance Teams workshop for the foundation competency (knowledge, skills and attitudes), tools and techniques.
ODR consultants engage teams in defining and enacting the behaviours and attitudes that meet and exceed customer expectations.
We facilitate, coach and map the internal processes and customer touch points and moments of opportunity for creating customer satisfaction and loyalty. We assist teams establish agreed performance standards, align individual, team and organisational structure, culture and process flows and identify and eliminate those tragic behaviours that erode confidence in the team and its members.
- Customer FocusCreate a unique customer value proposition that focuses team efforts on customer expectations.
- Align team focus on customer requirements and expectations
- Establish customer expectations monitoring and response protocols
- Embed team accountability to customer satisfaction
Creating and sustaining effective teams requires persistent renewal and discovery of what works in the team’s current and in preparation for future tasking. Team tasks vary over time; the contexts they work in vary, as does their membership. As function, tasking, roles and membership change is a constant; teams must adapt and readjust to the changes that confront them within and external to their organisation.
ODR’s Team Renewal consulting builds reflexivity, preparedness, psychological readiness and agility.
- Team RenewalEstablish regular team reviews including assessment of relevance and alignment of task and function
- Team member vigilance for internal and external scanning of changing environmental factors
- Contingency planning and advice on potential drivers and scenarios for consideration by decision makers
- Create capability and capacity to objectively review and negotiate individual, team and functional objectives
- Identify and eliminate inefficient processes and practices that contribute to low-value work
- Develop practical, high impact solutions that can be implemented immediately to improve individual, team and business performance.
- Establish protocols to ensure planning and alignment is reviewed regularly and its effectiveness measured.